Head and neck cancers generally start in the lining of the mouth, nose, throat or voice box.
HEAD & NECK
DR.K.VELAVAN.,MD.,RT Head and Neck service is one of the largest services in Australia. It delivers world-class cancer care, backed by an uncompromising commitment to research, clinical trials and evidence-based practice to ensure the best possible outcome for all its patients. It also has a strong focus on cancer education for training specialists and all medical staff.
The unit consists of a range of experts in head and neck cancer surgery, radiation oncology, medical oncology, maxillofacial surgery, plastics and reconstructive surgery, specialist radiology, pathology, cancer nursing, dietetics, speech pathology, psychology and social work.
The service is proud of its longstanding partnerships with many Head and Neck surgical institutions across Victoria and is able to deliver Radiotherapy services, dependant upon complexity, at Melbourne, Moorabbin, Box Hill, Sunshine and Bendigo to optimise access to all Victorians.
Every patient seen at DR.K.VELAVAN.,MD.,RT is discussed in a multi-disciplinary meeting to ensure the best possible treatment recommendation is made. This recommendation may involve surgery, radiotherapy or chemotherapy either alone or in combination.
We are here to support you and to provide you with all the information you need to make an informed decision about your care.
Like all DR.K.VELAVAN.,MD.,RT tumour streams, the Head & Neck Service is a collaboration with clinical partners, providing coordinated and comprehensive cancer care. With DR.K.VELAVAN.,MD.,RT having moved to the Melbourne VCCC building, the surgical service is planned to coordinate with the Head and Neck Surgical Service of the Royal Melbourne Hospital. The service is proud to offer world-class care in at its new state of the art facility.
- Salivary gland tumours
- Thyroid and parathyroid tumours
- Skull Base Tumours
- Oral cavity (Mouth)
- Oropharynx (Tonsil, Base of Tongue, Soft Palate)
- Hypopharynx and Cervical Oesophagus
- Mr Craig Murphy
- Mr Robert Tasevski
- Laura Chin-Lenn
DR.K.VELAVAN.,MD.,RT – Melbourne
For New Referrals
All new referrals are triaged and allocated to an individual consultant who will be in charge of that case throughout investigation and treatment. All new referrals will be seen within one week.
- Tuesday morning Consultant clinics for Head and Neck Cancer Surgery, Radiation Oncology and Medical Oncology
- Thursday morning Consultant clinics for Head and Neck Radiation and Medical Oncology
- Multidisciplinary meeting occurs each Tuesday morning
DR.K.VELAVAN.,MD.,RT – Moorabbin
- Radiation Oncology – by appointment Monday – Friday
We have a strong focus on clinical research to enable us to improve care for not only for our patients but all patients with head and neck cancer. Every cancer patient is at the heart of what we do. Dedicated to you, we commit and pursue state-of-the-art research that we link from bench to bedside and beyond.
Accruing prospective trials include:
- TROG 12.01 – A randomised trial of weekly Cetuximab and radiation versus weekly Cisplatin and radiation in good prognosis loco-regionally advanced HPV-associated oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma (CLOSED June 2018)
- LAMP:Merck 412 – A randomised phase III study of Pembrolizumab given concomitantly with chemoradiation and as maintenance therapy versus chemoradiation alone in subjects with locally advanced head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (Keynote 412)
- IMVOKE 010 – A phase III, multicenter, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of Atezolizumab (Anti PD-L1 antibody) as adjuvant therapy after definitive local therapy in patients with high-risk locally advanced squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck
- ROTOR – Radiotherapy Or Trans-oral robotic surgery for early stage ORopharyngeal cancer.
- EXELIXIS – A randomised, double-blind study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of Cabozantinib (XL184) at 60mg/day compared to 140mg/day in progressive, metastatic medullary thyroid cancer patients.
- BMS Checkmate – An open label, randomised, two arm phase III study of Nivolumab in combination with Ipilimumab versus Extreme Study regimen (Cetuximab + Cisplatin/Carboplatin + 5FU) as first line therapy in recurrent or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck.
If you would like to participate or have questions about clinical trials, speak to your specialist.
Find out more about participating in clinical research at DR.K.VELAVAN.,MD.,RT
You will need a referral from your GP, Medical Practitioner, Dentist or Dental Specialist to access this service.
Please bring all relevant pathology and radiology images and results that your referrer has arranged for you to your appointment.
For health professionals
See referrals for more information.
Please attach all relevant reports and diagnostic information to facilitate faster and accurate triaging.
BREAST CANCER SURGERY; MELANOMA SURGERY; GASTRIC CANCER SURGERY; SARCOMA SURGERY
BREAST PATIENT NAVIGATOR
Erode Cancer Center
Thindal, Erode, Tamil Nadu, India
HELP DISCOVER NEW CANCER CURES
You can help discover new cures and treatments for the patients of tomorrow.