The Dental Oncology Service provides specialised services for patients undergoing treatment…, primarily for head and neck, blood, and skin cancers.
People with these cancers may require the services of a dental oncologist to help manage and minimise discomfort, oral pain, and/or infections associated with treatment. Dental oncologists can also anticipate and prevent future dental concerns.
DENTAL ONCOLOGY SERVICES
Dental oncology provides a number of services to patients, including:
- assessment of the mouth and teeth before radiation therapy and chemotherapy.
- preparation of the mouth before radiation therapy
- diagnostic assessment of lesions inside the mouth
- preparation of complex oral devices to aid radiation therapy treatment
- management of the mouth and associated structures during and after radiation therapy and chemotherapy
- preparation of prostheses, which may be required as a result of surgery, radiation therapy or chemotherapy to the head and neck region.
Peter Mac does not offer general dental services.
Your specialist will organise relevant referrals if you require dental oncology at any stage of treatment.
For more information see referrals.
Phone: (03) 8559 5000
Please contact the main switchboard and ask for Dental Oncology